The Baseball Bat

My son Isaac was in second grade went to a baseball camp for a week. At this camp, they raffled prizes off every day during that week. Sometimes it was a pennant, or trading cards, but the big prize to be raffled off was this Dodger-blue aluminum baseball bat. It was shiny and beautiful, and every kid in the camp wanted this bat.

One day, and this is as plain in my memory as if it were yesterday, we were driving up to the camp, and my son was sitting in the back seat talking excitedly about that bat, but his voice got a bit whiny -saying that there was no way to get that bat, but that he wanted it SO much. So I said to him, "well, I can't buy it for you, and I can't make them give it to you, but you know what - we can pray about it." So I put my hand over the seat and held his hand, and I'm driving with my left hand, and I prayed, "Lord if this bat is supposed to be Isaac's bat, then we know you'll bless and honor that, but if it's supposed to be for someone else, we'll be ok with that." I had to keep my hands on the wheel, so that was a really short prayer.

Isaac really calmed down and I said to him, "The Lord knows who that bat is supposed to be for, but there are a lot of kids who want that bat, so we just don't know whose it will be."

Well, the last day of camp was on Saturday, and they had a big picnic for all the families of the campers. There was the smell of hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill, and we were seated at a picnic table eating, waiting for the raffling which was going to take place after the picnic.

The raffling began, and they kept calling out numbers for different things, because there were a lot of things being raffled. After all the pennants, and the glove, finally it came down to the blue bat. They called the number and my son looked at his ticket, and...

The blue bat is in his bedroom to this day.

And as a Mom, that built up my faith, because I had no other way to get that bat for him, and even if it had been for sale, I wouldn't have had the money to buy him one, that particular bat would have sold for more than $50 which, in those days, I simply did not have. But I knew that if it was supposed to be his, the Lord would find a way.

And to this day, whenever a need comes up, I remind him how the Lord provided something for him that he had no other way of having, and he always remembers the baseball bat story to this day, as do all of us in the family.

Karen W
California

No comments :